Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Have you Ever Terminated an online Relationship because of one of their photos?


BOO!
Q: The question on the Advice Board was "Has anyone ever dismissed a man because of a photo in their profile, I mean besides one with another woman."

A: Since I'm a Dating Coach I can answer that from a broad perspective. Women have described to me terminating contact with men (or not even starting it) because of photos, with words like. But let me begin by saying that men, especially older men, may only have one dressed-up photo of themselves, which is at a wedding, often the wedding of one of their kids, so you see them with a cute young thing. Check it out, don't assume.


That having been said ... I've heard many different reasons, among them:


  • Anything obscene or in poor taste. Occasionally one of these will slip by the censors

  • He looks like a derelict

  • Why would he think I would want to see him chest-bare in the bathroom mirror photographing himself with his own cell phone?

  • 5 photos of him on his Harley???

  • He's dirty, unshaven, nasty clothes

  • Am I supposed to fall in love with his car?

  • Too fat

  • The stuff on his back porch was disgusting

  • All those ______ things on his walls and mantel - I'm not into that stuff (various different memorabilia - we all have our own tastes)

  • I won't date a man with a beard/long hair/GQ look/earring/tatoo/Brooks Brother look (etc.)

  • I don't like blonds/bald men/brunettes ... blue-eyed/brown-eyed men

  • Photo of him in bar with woman draped all over him

  • Too tiny for me

  • A photo of him surrounded by teddy-bears? You gotta be kidding.

  • It's nice he's a doctor, but that shot with white coat and stethoscope smells of ego to me

  • Looks like an addict

  • Looks like he's had 5 bypasses

  • Showed him in his Halloween costume. Gross.

  • Photo of him from his high school yearbook 40 years ago. Who cares what he looked like then?

  • Looked depressed

  • Bad teeth

My personal favorite is the one some man put on his profile of himself with a bow and arrow and that thing with the arrows on his back, out in some woods. And he was dressed not unlike Robin Hood. Wish I could print the photo here.


Folks, the photos you choose to display on your profile make all the difference in the world. Men are primarily visible. Women might give it a chance beyond a photo, but the photos still matter.


P.S. Check out the backgrounds of your photos. Make sure they are things you want to be there. If in doubt, let me help you out. I can help you build a profile and photo portfolio that shows you at your best.

No comments: